Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Me and my Lolo

Au says, Kaya!

I was excited when I heard about this challenge because I had been hoarding ephemera and I am a fan of the vintage style. I thought this is a good time to break these out since I do not use them often enough. However, after seeing Leirs's LO, I thought true ephemera would be something related to my own life and Filipino setting rather than the "imported" ones I had. So I raided my Nanay's old photos and things and found these treasures. But the true treasure for me is this old and only photo in my possession of my Lolo. Being the bunso, all my lolos and lolas were gone by the time I was born except for this one. Let me tell you I was attacked with nostalgia when i saw it and got all misty gazing at it. It was a rush of feeling--just like when I hear an old song I haven't heard for a long time. So i hope my Lolo Sendong was looking over my shoulder as I made this one and i hope he likes it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Journaling:
This is a precious photo to me because my Lolo Rosendo here was the only grandparent I ever met. I was 3 on this pic. He doted on me being the youngest and only girl among his apos. I remember him always at my defense whenever I run to him while being teased by my elder brothers who call me "negra" and "Metring David" (after a comedienne with big feet). We only had a very short time together. I vividly remember staying beside him at his hospital bed during his last days when i was around 4 years old. We lost him to kidney disease.


Material/Techiques used:
K&Co Brenda Walton Maison and Cosmo Cricket papers, old coins and peso bills circa 60s-70s. Peso bills were scanned and printed while coins are the real thing. Buttons, charms, faux jewelry, Simply Scrappy acrylic brackets, Dymo tape labeller. UTEE to dimensionalize the M and E, Gelatins Festival Vintage stamps and metallic embossing powders for the word LOLO, lace, 7gypsies journalling tag, Prima flowers.

Au Lim: I love crafting and, recently, stamping. I only wish I had more time to do them. I admire the old, vintage and shabby styles and am hoarding stuff in this design although I rarely use them. Perhaps this challenge will trigger me to use them more often especially since i have unearthed a treasure trove of old photos my mother keeps. I also like blogging and bloghopping whenever i can steal some time away. Visit me at auscraps.blogspot.com and auwashere.blogspot.com. I'd love to hear from you, too!

19 comments:

Nita Ang said...

Look at that car... and look at you... LOL. Maliit ka noon, p-petite ka pa rin ngayon (muntik nang dumulas ang dila ko, buti na lang I caught it in time). Aliw naman talaga ako sa mga ephemera na ginawa mong embellise lalo na sa picture nyo ng Lolo mo, nakaka-senti lalo na't mabasa mo pa ang journaling. Sigh.

Nina said...

Au, this is just beautiful. Hay, I remembered my own Lolo.

You have such a great talent, my friend! Wala na akong masabi except, Ang ganda! =)

Nina

Alby said...

Hi Au! Na-senti ako sa layout mo. I lost both my lolos when I was 4 years old so I never got to know them. I don't even have a picture with either of them. You're very fortunate to have this picture.

Anyway, natawa rin ako sa journaling, specially the "negra" and "metring david". Haha!!!

Nice layout!

Anonymous said...

Great...TFS. Now, I also got an idea of how to use those coins as embellishment. Super great LO. Love it so much!

Zabeth

Benga said...

I really like the creative title of this LO, pati photo swak na swak , sana meron din akong ganyang photo. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Sis, I'm sure your Lolo is smiling down at you right now!!! Ganda!

Lei said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lei said...

Ay ang ganda naman nito.. makes me feel sad na I didn't have a Lolo. i love the placements of the ephemera's.It was nicely done. Good Job!!!

Jenn Valmonte said...

ephemera is your style, au! superb layout

Ella Go said...

au, i like the look of this LO. buti ka pa may natagong pix ng childhood at may lolo pa.. hehehe.

basta... dami ko dapat magagandang comment on this LO pero wala akong masabi...

Airees said...

Au, your LO made me remember to also scrap a few photos of my Lolo before pa ma-misplaced pa sila. Im sure your Lolo is very happy with what you did. And hey, GREAT LO, too! I love the embossing effect on the letters.

Donna Espiritu said...

ms au, love the way you did "LOLO", ganda ng effect. Ur lo is very nostalgic :) This one reminded me of my LOLA nmn, whom took care of me eversince I was little (and til bigger na hahaha). I know I have a some photos na kasama sya.. kaya lang auko ng pix ko nung bata ako eh hahaha.

Freethinker said...

What a sentimental LO! I love the embossed word "LOLO", so nice to look at Au. I was especially drawn to it. You always, always make great layouts :-) Am such fan ;-)

Lee i. said...

I love how you did the word LOLO, and how you incorporated the coins (naunahan mo ako, ha). I showed this to DH and his eyes zoomed in the car. Nasan na daw ang kotseng yan (he mentioned the model pero di ko maalala.)

Lee i. said...

Ngapala, nakalimutan kong sabihin, pero am sure alam mo na, nice LO. Again!

cabbie lopez said...

wow your layout really is vintagy! i love the money money and money in your design and how you seem to know how to place them in good position. everything in the layout makes me feel like im living in the year of your lolo. talk about ambience and time travel..

marjorie said...

love the colors! really vintage..you are so lucky you have a picture of your lolo..i did not get the chance to meet both of them..again,great job on the lo..

Christine said...

Au, I love how you were able to add coins and bills to this beautiful page (hmmmm.... san ko na nga ba tinago un P1 bills na pinamana ng nanay ko sa kin, haha!) Great photo!

Tin said...

Aba Au,bata ka pa pala nag mini skirt ka na ha :-) na re-reminisce tuloy ako *shniff* kaso lang nawawala pics namin ng lolo ko waaaah!
pero seriously, using the coins in your LO is so ingenious and the color sceheme speaks vintage :-)