Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What Took You So Long?

Marj says, KAYA!

This is my first entry to a challenge. I did not plan on joining but when I was about to do an LO for my older daughter's birth, I remember Donna told me to join and not be scared. I have one or two ephemera I can use for the LO so I did.

What took you so long is an expression of how I almost gave up on having a child. It took seven painful long years of thinking I would never feel a child's embrace. And just like that, she came. Every time I look at her, of how loving and vibrant she is, I think of all those years without her and I realize I could never be without her again. I did not expect to be blessed like this. I have a loving husband and another baby girl who is 4 months old.



Close-up of fabric pouch made from baby's receiving blanket

Inside mini-folder

Journaling Reads:
Francine, I waited for you so long that I almost gave up. You never fail to amaze me since that first time I held you in my arms. A smile from you makes everything your papa and I went through very much worth it.

Materials/Supplies Used:
Bohemia paper(My Mind‘s eye), CS(DCWV), Cricut paper (reds and blacks pad), Cricut machine, Jasmine font cartridge, round metal letters (Making Memories), eyelets (The Paper Studio), mini brads (The Paper Studio), mounting squares, Autumn Leaves clear stamps (Rhonna Farrer), Primas, Swarovski crystals for the flower centers (local hobby store), chipboard (raw), fluid chalk (Colorbox-stack of 6), Lace(LS), purple embroidery floss (DMC)

Ephemera:
- a piece Francine's receiving blanket
- ribbon from her shirt
- hospital bracelet
- ultrasound pics
- tag from going home outfit

Techniques/Process:
Tags are made from raw chipboard then was cut to desired size and shape, then painted with acrylic, sanded then inked. The heart-shaped tag was covered with paper then sanded and inked.

Mini- album holding the "us" pics are made with 2 pieces chipboard then attached with a small piece scored in the middle then painted with black acylic then glued to act as the binder. The top was covered with lace attached with small brads.

The title was made with Cricut using the blackout and regular feature
The four sides of the matted picture were stitched to give it dimension
The fabric pouch was sewn from a piece of the receiving blanket (I think it's better to see it in a LO than being hidden in a closet) which was soaked in coffee to stain it light brown. It holds one of the tags I made with the details of the birth (time, birthweight, height, place, etc.) written in white pen, the hospital bracelet and the tag of the outfit she wore when she went home.

About ME:
Hi! I am marjorie, Marj to most of my friends. A stay-at-home-mom of 2 adorable girls, Francine and Isabella. I got into scrapbooking May 2007 after I saw some of the digital LOs my sister did. I finally took the plunge and been loving it ever since. I am also a self-taught cake decorator but I find it impossible to do baking and decorating with 2 kids clamoring for my attention all the time. Llearn more about me at http://marjvelarde.multiply.com. Happy scrappin'!!!

15 comments:

Lee i. said...

Hey Marj, thanks for sharing your LO with us. Got so many ideas from this. (Thanks Donna for persuading her to join the challenge :-)) Nice touch using a piece of Francine's receiving blanket in the LO. Makes it more interesting because of that piece of history. I saved all my KiDS' blankies too. Ang tanong, payagan naman kaya ako ni DH na gupitin? :-) Great job! Very elegant LO here. And you say, last May ka lang start? Get out of here! Ay, you're not here nga pala. Hehehe.

Donna Espiritu said...

hi marj!! girl!!!!! ur lo is AMAZING!!!!!! grabe ito ba ang newbie!??!?! hay ang swerte mo marami ng naimbento nung mag-scrapbook ka!! hahaha uy, nagulat and natawa ako at the same time upon reading wat u said sa cbox lol!!! sige pag nanalo ka will rcv it for you! hahaha hmmm ikaw na lang kaya ang ipangampanya ko no?? :D seriously, ur lo is truly amazing.. literally napanganga ako,it was MORE THAN what i expected from a newbie, ibang klase kang newbie ha? i like EVERYTHING in ur lo, tama si lee very elegant and andun tlaga ung "ephemera" touch and feel :) WTG marj!!!

marjorie said...

thanks lee and donna for the encouraging comments! lee,too bad wla nga ako jan..parang kakainggit samahan nyo..DH didn't know that i cut one of the blankies.lol..donna,thanks again for motivating me to join...ay naku, kailangan b mag campaign?lol!

Nina said...

Marj, I love this! Great layout! It's so heartwarming and knowing pa na may piece of the receiving blanket in the layout makes it extra special. Oo nga, sigurado ka newbie ka? Hindi po pansin dahil super ganda nito. Great job! =)

Love the little details, especially the "surprise" of a mini-book in your layout. Galing talaga. =)

Nina

marjorie said...

thanks nina! i was planning on making an accordion type album to showcase the ultrasound pictures but decided against it coz it might be too thick so i opted for this mini folder..

Alby said...

Hi Marj! Excellent layout. Can't believe you're a newbie. More than the aesthetic appeal of this layout, I am so touched by your journaling and also the story behind the page that you shared in your intro. I am so inspired and you just strengthened my hope of one day becoming a mom too (married 6 years!). Hope to see more of your work here. :)

Alby

Christine said...

Gorgeous page, Marj! Love your color combo - I especially love that you added a piece of your DD's receiving blanket to this page

Anonymous said...

nice one, ate! i'm proud to be THE sister who actually influenced you to go into scrapbooking. you're talented. now i'm sure the cricut will be put to good use. ;) --monet

cabbie lopez said...

very very nice layout!!! i love your color and love the mini book in your lo too!!! wow i love the real ephemera there!! the pouch, so memorable!!!

Tin said...

Hi Marj! My,my, your LO is very nice and the color choices you have are not the "usual" ones too! I especially love how you incorporated a part of the receiving blanket in your LO and a hidden mini-folder to boot! TFS and for the new ideas :-)

Au Lim said...

MARJ! this LO is BEEAUUTIFULLL!!! ang ganda ng color scheme! vintage ang dating yet it is not the usual browns. love the photo, your daughter is lovely and i like that angle with the shadows. and to cap it all off, you have a piece of the receiving blanket. love the lace on the foldout pa! its so cohesive. dreamy LO, sis!

Freethinker said...

Hi marj, great Lo you have here! Ang ganda ng placement ng elements. I love the way every piece and design come together. And the ephemera receiving blanket capped the overall sentiment of your LO. Lovely daughter too!:-) Keep scrapping!

Lei said...

i loved this LO.. i really felt the emotion behind it.. i loved the photo and the ephemera was so touching..i loved it talaga.. para bang initial reaction ko was awwww... how touching

Eleanor said...

Wow, I love your layout. I've been rubber stamping and making greeting cards for some time now, but I'm beginning to explore scrapbooking. I think it's so beautiful to journal one's life and loved ones and pass on these preserved memories to our kids. I'm so glad I discovered this site. You're site is very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

It's very creative with emotional memories inclined to the subject...that blanket and ribbon..it touch the heart of us, the mothers.I really appreciate your LO, keep it up marj..kaya mo yan ...