Friday, November 21, 2008

Just Be Yourself

Mia says, KAYA!

I love all of Marj's challenges! And I am thrilled I am able to scrap more often now with various techniques. This challenge is perfect for a personal layout for my 2nd daughter, Raya. At five years old, her strong character and personality are more evident now. I have seen how this is manifested in her relationship with her sisters. I have always worried about her having the middle child syndrome but so far I see that she is able to assert herself in some way while still valuing her sisters. She is such a great person! This is my tribute for her.

I used the Studio Azul October kit for this layout. I love the SA kits! (Hi Tin!) I feel so deprived here in Cagayan de Oro of new scrapbook items so subscribing to their kits have made me a little more up to date with new products and materials.


Journaling:
I realize now that it isn't easy being the middle of three sisters. I watch you as you patiently deal with Nadine's wants and Alyssa's demands and I admire you for being so understanding. But you are not a pushover! You assert yourself, at times, with dignity and strength when you feel you need to. You are a beautiful person, Raya! And I love you very much! Always remember that! Raya - age 5
Materials:
American Crafts and Prima papers, American Crafts alphabet thickers, Prima Essential 4 flowers, Chinese button, Scenic Route Butterfly Chipboard, All About Scrapbooking brads, Letter Rub Ons, Whispers Archival Ink, Staedler Pen

Techniques Used:
Tearing, crumpling, inking, circle coffee stain

About ME:
I am in my mid-thirties, married to my bestfriend, Mier, for 8 years and blessed with three beautiful princesses, Nadine (age 7), Raya (age 5) and Alyssa (1 year). I have been fixing my photos since high school but got really serious (as in using acid free materials) in 2004 after my 2nd daughter was born. Since then I've been hooked! Took a break in 2007 when I had a difficult pregnancy with my 3rd baby but I'm now back and more addicted than ever! I believe the heart of my layouts is my journaling. I scrapbook to share myself and my stories to my children.

9 comments:

Candy said...

Love this LO, Mia! This is a fabulous photograph of your daughter. Hmmmm. Coffee stain marks? Great idea there. I'll have to try that one.

Anonymous said...

This is such a fun layout, and it really showcases your daughter's vibrant personality. :) Lovely work, Mia!

Mia Castrillo said...

Thanks Candy! I took the photo using my Nikon D60 camera and an 18-55mm lens. :-) Yabang ko ba? Hehehe! Yup, try the coffee stain marks! I got the idea from one of Bjay's layouts. (Hi Bjay!)

Thanks also Barbie! I really enjoyed the October Studio Azul kit! :-)

Gracie Ann Tan said...

This is gorgeous Mia! Coffee is a good distressing medium. I've tried it before using my left over coffee. Hehe. It brings out a nice aged look.

CraftFairy said...

Great journaling and very refined distressing techniques!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo! Yun yung unang napansin ko talaga! And congrats on your new Camera! Share ka photos ha!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mia! I'm in an internet cafe to send my KAYA entry now. Kaya pwedeng maka-access and leave comments. Love this Mia! Just made one for Alexa with a similar title this week (supposed to be my entry but it has a hidden journalling). La lang, pareho tayo inisip ;o)

Donna Espiritu said...

hi mia! this is simply sweet!

Anonymous said...

ay, ang ganda naman ni raya dito! even the cropping of the pix is so artsy :) hmp, nikon D60 pa kasi ang gamit, lalong maganda (I'm a ginger - ginggitera. haha!).

but I just love this LO. pati journaling :)